This creamy, delicious dairy-free chocolate is perfect for making solid Easter eggs or rabbits that are much healthier than the store-bought ones. You could use any mould, ice-cube tray or slice tray lined with baking paper for chocolate bark. I used a plastic 16-hole chocolate mould from Spotlight. Cocoa butter can be found in health stores. I experimented making this without coconut oil and it was very rich. The coconut oil makes it much creamier. You could make it with just coconut oil instead of cocoa butter, but it melts much quicker so has to be kept in the fridge until eaten. It’s important that your coconut oil is soft but not liquid, at room temperature, a bit like whipped cream. Also make sure you let your cocoa butter cool a little before adding it to the coconut oil. Carob powder is a good option for kids and those wanting to avoid caffeine. Double the recipe for more chocolate. You could also add 1/4 teaspoon mixed spice, a filling of nut butter or add shredded coconut, chopped nuts or peppermint oil instead of the vanilla and cinnamon.
Makes 16 small chocolates
- 1/3 cup of cocoa butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil (soft, at room temperature but not liquid)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder or carob powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons honey, equivalent stevia or other sweetener
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Melt the cocoa butter slowly by placing it in a small bowl in a saucepan of hot water over a stove top on low heat. Stir often until it melts. Do not let it overheat or boil. Then, let it rest at room temperature, but make sure it doesn’t harden again.
- Place the soft (but not runny) coconut oil in a glass mixing bowl. If it is too runny, place it in the fridge for a little while to harden, and if it is hard you will need to place it in a larger bowl of warm water.
- Add the cocoa butter and whisk together. When they are smooth, add the remaining ingredients, and keep whisking. It should thicken a little bit as the mixture cools.
- Check for flavour. For a richer, darker chocolate, add more cocoa. For a sweeter blend, add more honey or another sweetener. Pour into chocolate moulds and refrigerate immediately. Remove from moulds and enjoy!