This delicious chicken soup is perfect for colder days to ward off colds and flu and to raise your immune system. Root vegetables contain lots of minerals and vitamins. Garlic helps to kill infections as it contains anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties as well as anti-inflammatory compounds. Garlic contains a very well-absorbed form of selenium and many other nutrients. Ginger helps break down the accumulation of toxins in the organs, particularly in the lungs and sinuses. It can help promote healthy sweating, which can assist detoxification during colds and flu. Ginger is also used for nausea and contains potent anti-inflammatory called gingerols which helps with some inflammatory conditions such as arthritis. Garlic and ginger give the soup a delicious flavour. This chicken soup is very healing and soothing for the digestive system. You can also swap the drumsticks for about six chicken chops.
12 chicken drumsticks
5 carrots, chopped
3 parsnips peeled and chopped
2 large brown onions, chopped
2 leeks sliced down centre, cleaned, then chopped
2×2 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped finely
4 cloves garlic chopped
2 ½ litres of water
Parsley to garnish (optional)
Sea salt and/or tamari soy sauce to taste if desired
1. Pour 2 ½ litres of water in a saucepan.
2. Place the chicken in the water and bring to a boil.
3. Skim the surface and reduce to a simmer. Keep skimming when necessary and simmer gently for 1 hour.
4. Remove the chicken from the saucepan. Add other ingredients and simmer until vegetables are tender (about 30 minutes).
5. While vegetables are cooking, skin the chicken, remove it from the bone, then return to the pot. Season to taste and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Add a little turmeric powder if desired.
Add more vegetables or other kinds of vegetables you have on hand eg. spring onions, celery, swedes etc.