Christmas is a time for celebrations. When you have family and friends over you have to spend some quality time with them rather than slaving away in the kitchen. You’ll easily jingle all the way with this guilt-free, gluten free, dairy free, sugar-free, vegan and eggless Christmas cake recipe. You only need three ingredients with optional spices to make this yummy cake and it’s really simple. We used one black tea bag but you could make a stronger tea. The tea helps bring out the flavour of the fruit. This cake is vegan-friendly with no butter and eggs, so everyone can enjoy.
The recipe below makes a regular sized cake. If you want a larger cake you can double the quantities.
Allergy Notice: Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, sugar-free and eggless
Serves 6 (cake tin size 7-8″)
- 500g mixed dried fruit
- 1 1/2 cups of boiled black tea (or boiled water)
- 1 1/2 cups of gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 tsp of mixed spice (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon (optional)
- Soak fruit in tea overnight (or for at least 4 hours)
- Preheat the oven to 140C fan-forced (or a bit hotter for conventional oven)
- Stir flour into soaked fruit with liquid (mixture should be thick)
- Add spices to above mixture and stir
- Spoon mixture into a cake tin lined with greased baking paper
- Bake for at least 1 1/2 hours or until golden and a skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool in cake tin and store in an airtight container in the fridge or at room temperature for up to a few weeks.
This cake can also be served as a pudding warmed up with custard, sugar-free ice cream or organic yoghurt.