Our vegan chickpea curry is the flavoursome addition to your weeknight dinner planning.
This recipe is perfect for culinary experts who like to make dishes from scratch but do not like spending a lot of time making the dish. This authentic chickpea curry is packed with flavours and can be easily whipped up using the usual spices which you may have in your pantry already.
We are obsessed with this vegetarian curry full of punchy flavours and a huge hit among our vegan/vegetarian friends and family.
1 Cup of Chickpeas (Dried)
1 tbsp Coconut oil
1 tbsp Curry powder (Gluten-Free)
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Paprika (or Chilli) powder
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1″ Piece of Cinnamon Stick
4 Cloves of Garlic (thinly sliced)
1 Medium size Onion (thinly sliced)
1 1/2 Cup of Coconut Milk
- Soak chickpeas in water overnight or at least 8 hours
- Drain water and place soaked chickpeas in a pot and add water (4 cups of water) and 2 tsp of salt. Cook chickpeas on medium-heat.
- When water starts boiling, reduce heat and cook until chickpeas are soft (approx. 10-15min). Then drain water.
- Heat oil in a separate pan. When the oil is hot add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and the cinnamon stick into the pan and fry for a few seconds.
- Add onions and garlic into the mixture and fry for 3- 5 minutes or until they are light brown
- Add curry powder, turmeric powder and paprika powder, boiled soft chickpeas and 1/4 cup of water (or vegetable stock water or leftover water from the boil earlier) and cook for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- After 10 minutes add coconut milk, salt and give it a stir.
- Cook further for another 15-20 minutes.
You can enjoy this delicious vegan Chickpea Curry with steamed rice, cauliflower rice, quinoa, couscous and/or pita bread.
Let us know your feedback. Comment and review the recipe below.
Like us on Facebook and share your recipes.